I had written this out Monday night, but I guess I had forgotten to post it!
Goals for the first week:
Buy all clothes/fabric needed
Finish sketching out and finalizing designs
Confirm models
Start pattern drafting/cutting/sewing first pieces
Goals for day 1:
Go to 3 thrift stores around the city
Start sketching
Confirm first model
My first day went really well. I ended up getting more done than I originally set off to do. It was my goal to make it to three thrift stores, and I ended up going to four. In the morning I went to The Salvation Army on 4th Ave and Geary and Goodwill on Clement and 10th Ave. At The Salvation Army, I bought a lot of clothes, most of which were button down shirts. Button down shirts, both mens and womens, are really helpful for projects like this because they have a lot of fabric on the back that is uninterrupted by any seems, so it is easier to cut pattern pieces out of it. I was also really tempted by the few antique sewing machines they had, but that has to wait for a later time. I was less successful at Goodwill on Clement, and I only found one item there that I liked after searching through the whole store. Everything else wasn't quite right.
In the afternoon, I went to Out of the Closet on Polk and California and Goodwill on Filmore and Post. These two trips were both successful. I bought a lot of smaller things at Out of the Closet, and I also bought a long dress with a lot of usable fabric. The store itself is pleasant, and a few other people there had their dogs with them, so shopping was combined with making sure I wasn't going to step on any tails! My second trip to a Goodwill was much more successful than the first. I bought three items there, including another long dress.
I couldn't get any good pictures of the clothes I bought yet, so I will do that later this week and post them. I also took pictures of each of the store fronts, but I had a small technical difficulty with getting them off of my iPod, so those might come later.
After going to Goodwill, my time was interrupted by soccer practice. When I got home in the evening, I tried to round out the 7 hours by sketching out a few outfit design ideas. I also was able to confirm two models, Kate and Tali.
Summary of what I accomplished on Day 1:
Went to 4 thrift stores
Did a little bit of sketching
Confirmed 2 models, but don't have measurements yet
Goals for Day 2:
Do more research on construction of specific pieces
Get measurements from confirmed models
Find third model
No comments:
Post a Comment